trump has degraded our country and our standing in the free world. We were a great nation before young trump evicted his first elderly tenant. Apparently MAGA means tearing down the country, dividing the populace, and watching it all burn.
All of this obscenity, the defiling of our White House, our military and patriotic traditions, and the deliberate erasure of everything President Obama accomplished in his eight years in office in the name of a racist vendetta has taken a toll on all of us.
The depression set in on Election Day, but it seemed as long as the Obamas were still in the White House, we might be okay. Then they were gone, and we’re not okay.
The anger set in on January 20th and has grown in everyone I know. It manifests in different ways. Some people went from sadness to intense depression. Some people, like myself, went from depression to anger, and the anger has only grown as trump has inhumanely destroyed President Obama’s hard work of eight years in nine and a half months. I have seen this type of destruction in my personal life, accomplished by one man with a similar mindset and immature emotional reactions. Stunted. Emotional growth frozen at some time in young adulthood.
Why are we angry and depressed since trump took office?
- We lost a great president and presidential family when the Obamas left the White House.
- We lost a humane and intelligent president, a great and thoughtful orator, a man who exuded kindness and compassion when President Obama left office.
- Michelle Obama was an amazing First Lady. She worked so hard to try to introduce healthy lunches to schoolchildren that she even planted a garden at the White House. She was physically fit. She was classy. She was every bit as intelligent as her husband. She had a warm personality, and everything about her was sincere.
- We had a family in the White House. We had the honor of watching Sasha and Malia grow up into beautiful women with style and manners.
- “Get you a man who looks at you like Barack looks at Michelle.” The basis of the Obama family was the ongoing love affair between President and Mrs. Obama.
What do we have now?
- Melania seems to stay away from trump as much as possible, keeping their young son with her.
- trump degraded our White House by calling it a “dump,” then redecorating the Oval Office in his favorite cheap gold shades.
- He allowed an advisor to sit with her bare feet drawn up beside her on the Oval Office sofa while she checked her phone.
- He’s given his adult children security access that they should not have, and titles and positions that display pure nepotism.
- He is still consorting with Nazis in our White House.
- He was elected despite the fact that he admitted that he could get away with “grabbing her [any women he found attractive] by the pussy” because he was a TV star.
- He’s semi-literate:
- He “deals” with crises, including natural disasters, by finding someone, preferably a woman, to blame.
- He’s unable to stop verbally assaulting women: Megyn Kelly, Carmen Yulín Cruz, and Jemele Hill.
- He invents social crises by attacking women like Jemele Hill, and NFL players and cheerleaders who take a knee during the playing of the national anthem in protest of police brutality against black people.
- He treats Twitter like a toy he can use to goad other world leaders with no regard for the consequences.
- He meddles in the private reproductive health matters of American women.
- He has behaved with stunning callousness towards Muslim immigrants and formerly DACA-protected young people.
- He has given ICE free reign to separate families via deportation.
- He has erased science from the White House website.
- He’s been accused of sexual assault by numerous women.
- He’s behaved like a damn fool during the playing of the National Anthem and in meetings with foreign leaders.
- He’s instructed his goon squad to assault protesters at his rallies.
- He’s not working, he’s holding rallies.
I can’t go on anymore. This is why we’re all depressed, dispirited, heartbroken, anxious, panicky, angry, or just gone from social media.
The vast majority of us cannot live under these conditions without manifesting some symptoms of stress and/or depression.
Many of us see no future for ourselves and our children.
We’re tired of calling our reps who don’t give a damn if they’re red state reps and who plead helplessness if they’re blue state reps.
We’re terrified of losing the ACA because we or our friends or our children might die.
And we’re expected to live normally under that pressure? We’re expected to carry on under the weight of a president who functions on inducing nihilism and golfs away weekends while we wonder if at least some part of the world will be a nuclear wasteland very soon due to trump’s diarrhea of the mouth?
I don’t know what to tell your if you are sick and depressed because of trump’s reign of lunacy except don’t go away. Please. I’m missing so many people that I used to keep up with on Twitter, and I need you back. If we fall apart from each other, we give him another victory.
I am not the person to give you a magic charm to handle life under trump’s boot heel. I can only ask that you stick with me and speak up. The time for neutrality is dead and buried. Your voice is needed. Speak. Speak loud.